Thursday, January 2, 2014

Amendment XIX

Amendment XIX

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Text (in plain English)

It is prohibited that any citizen be denied the right to vote based on gender.

Historical Background
1848-the start of the fight for the 19th Amendment. Elizabeth Caddy Stanton- the ring leader, whose name that automatically triggers the words "woman suffrage." Seneca Falls, New York- the location of battle round #1.
Stanton, with the help of Lucretia Mott and Susan B. Anthony, began the movement for women rights with the Seneca Falls Convention. About 200 women from all over the country were in attendance for the first ever convention for women's rights. The Seneca Falls Convention was the sounding of the starter pistol for the fight for women activists to speak out about woman suffrage all over the Nation. The battle for women's right to vote and women's equality roared on with protests in front of the White House, hunger strikes in jail, and numerous conventions and meetings with activists for over 70 years.
In 1919, the suffragists' voices were finally heard when Congress passed the 19th Amendment, guaranteeing women's right to vote, on June 4th. After Tennessee became the 36th state to ratify the Amendment, finalizing the 2/3 majority, the other 14 states that were lagging behind were forced to follow in Tennessee's footsteps as the 19th Amendment was ratified over the entire nation on August 26, 1920.

Effect of Amendment XIX on the U.S
Although this amendment succeeded in giving women the right to vote, between 1920 and 1960, many suffragists who once fought for the right to vote were skeptical on where to go for women’s rights, leading them to split into multiple organizations. Thus, the women’s movement was not prevalent for almost 50 years until the second feminist movement came in the 1960s.
Inspired by The Feminine Mystique and previous suffragists that fought for the right to vote, the second feminist movement began with fighting for equal treatment in the, resulting in the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which both served to eliminate discrimination for women. However, the law was not enough to protect women workers, so the National Organization for Women (NOW) was found to eliminate women discrimination in the courts and legislatures. Such an organization also inspired more women to pursue politics, breaking the conventional wisdom that women could only pursue a limited number of professional careers.
During that time, the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), originally proposed by Alice Paul in 1923, served to completely guarantee gender equality under the law. It was only introduced by Congress until it eventually passed the ERA in 1972 for ratification. Congress even extended their 7-year limit of consideration to 1982. However, only 35 of the 38 required state legislatures ratified the amendment. Nevertheless, it still continues to be introduced in every Congress as of today.
Meanwhile, the 1990s and the beginning of the 21st century marked the third feminist movement, where women have continued to not only break other conventional wisdoms about themselves but also create new ideas about women identity. This can be seen by the recent media today, where movies, television, and literature show women as strong, independent, and powerful as well as changing essentialist views on gender.
Today, the 19th Amendment has become as an inspiration for women to obtain equal rights in all areas of American society since its passing.
(More info on: The Equal Rights Amendment, The Second Feminist Movement, and The Third Feminist Movement)

Effect of Amendment XIX on Me
Last week I received my voters registration card in the mail. Researching and writing about this Amendment has made me really think about my rights as a woman. I couldn't imagine living in an America where I didn't have the right to participate in how the government ran. I could not fathom not having the right to have my voice heard.
Giving women the right to vote gives a whole new look to American politics because women think very differently than men. Elections after 1920 may have had very different outcomes if the 19th Amendment ceased to exist. Giving women the right to vote has certainly diversified the thought process of the American government and opened many more doors to gender equality in America. Voting for women, certainly changed how women were viewed incomparison to men. I certainly believe that I can do anything a man can do (and most of the time I think I can do it better :) ). When women were given the right to vote I think women of all ages started to realize that they were just as good as men, the right to vote gave women a strength that has been growing since the Seneca Falls Convention, and that continues to build with every new generation of women.
I will open the curtains to the voting booth in May for the first time, proud to be a woman voting for the first time.

Today's High Schoolers and the 19th Amendment

















4 comments:

  1. I am proud to say that I will also be registering to vote when I officially turn eighteen years old. As a female, I must take advantage of the opportunity I have to practice my constitutional rights. Who is to say that only men know what is right for our country? As I read the historical background I could not help but think, " I cannot believe it took the nation this long to grant women the right to vote!" It is sad to think that a nation built upon liberty and free will once placed limitations on its very own people. However, I am extremely grateful to see that women are finally being heard and expressing their political opinions. By watching females like Donna Edwards, Hillary Clinton, and Maya Angelou on national television, I have learned that women are making unforgettable marks throughout history every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of voting, I just registered to vote like an hour ago and I am very excited as well to vote in May! I think that a lot of us, especially young adults around our age group don’t think much about our freedom to vote, as women. Too many people are taking the 19th amendment for granted. After reading about all the feminist movements and women suffragists who fought to give us this right makes me appreciate my ability to have a say in my government even more. I would have hated living in this society pre-1920. Being denied the right to vote is like being voiceless and incapacitated. It’s definitely not fair to say that men have better judgments and are more intellectual than us. However, this amendment has not only changed the requirements to vote, but it has also transformed the perceptions of women forever. People now view us as equals. We are no longer disregarded when applying from manual labor jobs or management positions. The 19th Amendment is a steppingstone in our history towards a more diversified and equal society. Turning eighteen doesn't’t only mean almost finishing high school or the age when I can legally smoke. Rather, it means I can finally voice my opinions and vote in the 2016 elections as a proud female.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that having the right to vote is a defining right in my life. I never miss an election and love the power and responsibility that voting gives me. But...do you think that men and women have radically different voting behaviors? Also, women are badly underrepresented in Congress; why do you think that is so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a female, I am grateful that this amendment is in place. How can America be of the people if half of the people are neglected? I think this is one of the amendments that affect me directly. Without it even if I am 18 years old, I wouldn’t be able to vote. I am thankful for all the women suffragists who have made this possible as I live in a society where females are gaining equal footing wit males. This amendment truly highlights how far women have come from not being able to vote to possibly electing a female president in 2016.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! Keep it factual, keep it constitutional, keep it friendly!